When dating online – like meeting people in real life – the first impression is everything.
Unlike real dating, however, you can’t get away with loving looks and smiles on an app; it all depends on your opening line.
If you’ve been on apps for a while, you’ll have heard the cheesy “Does it hurt when you fell from the sky?” Gossip – and while these may have worked for our parents, they are now somewhat played out.
Asking someone on their profile is always a good place to start, because it shows them that you’ve actually looked and aren’t going looking for stock openers.
Maybe your partner likes the same video game or music as you, or has been to a place you’ve also traveled to. These are all great entry points.
In cases where their profile is a bit sparse, or if you don’t share their hobbies, you’ll need to get a little more creative.
We have created a master list to give you some ideas, with XX versatile opening messages to grab their attention and move the conversation forward.
From flirty to silly, there are thankfully no pickup lines, but plenty of jumping off points for further talking… and potentially a romantic connection.
Keep in mind that some are wacky or suggestive, and not everyone will like it – you’ll still need to use your judgment here. The goal is a light conversation, without offending anyone at the outset.
- Which song would you choose as the soundtrack of your life?
- Tell me two truths and one lie about you and I’ll try to guess which one is wrong.
- What’s your most controversial opinion?
- Tell me about your perfect Sunday …
- I want to hear your best daddy joke! Make me laugh / cringe, the more cheesy the better.
- You look like [celebrity they look like]. Do you hear that all the time?
- Choose our date: a movie, a drunken night or a hike?
- Help me decide what to do for dinner? I’ll buy you breakfast after our date back …
- [Along with a dog/cat gif] Person cat or dog? Your response is required to determine if we are compatible.
- Before we chat, I want you to know that I will never send you unsolicited cock pics. Duck photos, however, I can’t promise anything [send picture of a duck].
- You have traveled a lot! What’s the best place you’ve been?
- Using emojis only tell me your life story.
- If I made you dinner, what’s one meal that would make you fall in love with me?
- How long have you lived [city]? What’s your favorite restaurant / bar / day out here?
- [If they live in the same city as you] Hey, you’re not far from me! Have you ever tried a restaurant / bar / night out?
- Favorite comedian, actor and singer? Go!
- You had me at [something in their profile that made them stand out]…
- What’s the worst line you’ve ever received, or is it this message?
- You just won a million pounds, what’s the first thing you do?
- What will we say to our grandchildren when they ask us how we met?
- [If they have a pet in their pictures] You have the most beautiful fur and the most beautiful mustaches I have ever seen, and your human is quite cute too.
- What made you slide on top of me?
- I am a [star sign], does that mean that we are compatible?
- I bet you we would have a good date.
- I had a great first line ready, but you’re so sexy I forgot about it.
- I am using my last 2% battery to send you this message. If it’s not a commitment, I don’t know what it is.
- You are a [film/movie/show on their profile] fan no? What do you think of the latest version?
- What do you think of pineapple on pizza?
- I saw you liking too [hobby] and couldn’t not slip right! How did you get into it?
- Who would you rather be stuck with in an elevator? [List two celebs]
- I bet you a drink your personality is same better than your appearance.
- The 10th photo on your filmstrip describes our relationship. What’s the prognosis?
- What is your usual McDonald’s / Greggs / KFC order?
- I am vaxxed, shaved and ready for a date. Where are we going?
- Please tell me you’re not the type to clap when the plane lands …
- Were Ross and Rachel really on hiatus?
- Do you like bad boys / girls? Because I’m really bad at it.
- Your [a quality about them] really caught my eye. You are beautiful!
- I would tell you that you are gorgeous, but I’m sure you get that all the time. How about describing yourself with a gif instead?
- There is not much in your bio but I would like to meet you. Quick round of questions?
Remember, you will always do better with something personalized rather than a generic quote. Just asking someone out can be effective depending on who they are.
As long as it’s thoughtful – not a boring “hi” – you’re already on a winner.
Do you have a story to share?
Contact us by email MetroLifestyleTeam@Metro.co.uk.
MORE: How to Get Rid of Mold in a Rented Home
MORE: Country Clubs Aren’t Just For Rich Seniors – Here’s Why You Should Try Them
Rush Hour Crush – love (well, lust) is all around us
Visit Metro’s Rush Hour Crush online every day of the week at 4:30 p.m.
Tell us about your Rush Hour Crush by submitting it here, and you will be able to see your post posted on the site.